(1) All Internal Cavities massage must be performed utilizing universal precautions for communicable disease control.
(2) Internal Cavities consist of nasal cavities, oral cavities, auricular cavities, anal cavities, and vaginal cavities.
(3) Internal cavity massage that must be performed using gloves:
(a) Anal cavities and
(b) Vaginal cavities.
(4) Internal cavity massage that must be performed using gloves or finger cots:
(a) Nasal cavities and
(b) Oral cavities.
(5) Prior to performing these special procedures, an LMT must:
(a) Be able to present evidence of the completion of specialized contact hours as training beyond the minimum competencies, which includes but is not limited to, indications, contraindications, therapeutic treatment techniques, expected outcomes, client safety, client consent, client communication, draping techniques, sanitation, and ethical responsibilities related to internal cavity massage;
(b) Be able to articulate a therapeutic rationale which is acknowledged by the client; rationale may include a medical prescription and/or permission to consult with the clients health care provider(s);
(6) Prior to performing internal cavity massage a LMT must obtain written and verbal consent before proceeding, written consent must include clients’ option to accept or decline to provide a witness in addition to the client and LMT.
(7) While performing these procedures a LMT must use appropriate draping techniques at all times. Any temporary exposure of the genital area for the purposes of treatment is acceptable only in respect to appropriate procedures for that treatment. Immediately following treatment of the area, the genital area must be covered again.
(8) Under no circumstances will intravaginal or intra-anal techniques be performed on individuals under 18 years of age.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 687
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 687.121
BMT 1-2013, f. 5-31-13, cert. ef. 7-1-13
BMT 2-2012, f. 12-4-12, cert. ef. 1-1-13
BMT 1-2012, f. 6-19-12, cert. ef. 7-1-12